Friday, November 17, 2023

Fight or Flight

 

Watching the original Hunger Games movie triggered a fight or flight. I could run and never look back, or I could watch/read/write about all things Hunger Games until it was just a piece of furniture in my mind. I chose the second approach. I don’t regret it. I have not yet read The Ballad Of Snakes and Songbirds. The price of the book still exceeds the budget for contemporary fiction and I don’t visit the library as often as I should. The movie ticket was right on point, and I needed some time out of my house, but relaxing. 

I enjoyed the show. The violence was more nuanced and I appreciated that. I loved the characters even the ambiguous Mr. Snow. The music was a nice touch drawing on the success of Hanging Tree and bringing more Appalachian music out into the world. It is not a compelling peace. Where Hunger Games made its point strongly Snakes and Songbirds is more about a return to a world we are fascinated by. I wish the themes had been clearer. Everything else was just right.

No comments: