Sunday, October 01, 2023

Priming the Pump


 Sometimes my mental processes get jammed and shut down. There really isn’t much to be done, other than sit tight and watch way too much everything. Slowly though the logs disentangle and a trickle comes through. I’ve found it smart to grab a short easy book and glide through it before asking anything more difficult of myself. This latest occurrence I turned to A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park. It is fine little book, handling very difficult subjects with optimism and gentleness. I do recommend it. It is also going on my list of books to read when your faith in humanity hangs by a thread.

Off and on I like to imagine how we might do better with refugees. I’ve never done the serious reading I ought to do, but this book opened up the subject without shutting down the trickle. The problem is bigger than I was thinking. Good thing fixing it isn’t my day job, probably it’s just my prayer job.

All around a very good, useful book in a short and simple package. I will be recommending this one often.

No comments: