Monday, July 10, 2023

Falling in Love

 


Reading Rumi is an invitation to bleed my highlighter dry. I fall into him. He is such a kindred spirit. If you love the experience of feeling God in the world, you will be wrapped up in all the beautiful metaphors and overwhelming/claiming images. Rumi runs completely naked to Love. 

I now own four collections of Rumi’s poetry. Two are paraphrases by Coleman Barks and I have a purse-sized book. The collection I chose for Crowhook is translated by Haleh Liza Gafori. It is the right size for an introduction to and focus on Rumi and Love. She is both a good translator (which I take on faith) and great poet (can easily be seen for itself.) 

It does not matter how you get to Rumi. He will get to you, right to the heart of you. You will always want his wisdom close when you discover it.



No comments: