Thursday, March 30, 2023

In My Own Backyard


 I really can’t say how many times  I have put The Tale of Genji in my basket on Amazon. It’s an important Japanese text I am scouting for Crowhook. I found one at a local used book yard sale that is held every summer. It is a well used copy, but still in very usable condition with an exceptionally good binding. It just lays flat. I could not afford that level of excellence on my book budget. Here I paid two bucks. I also found lots of kid books that were popular when I was a kid, but have begun to slide off the radar, one dollar each. Flannery O’Connor’s short stories were leant out eight or nine years ago. They haven’t returned. I found a collected works and a biography. I found a Cezanne retrospective replete with color plates, two bucks. It has been the same every year I’ve gone. Lots of good books for work and a little fun on the side.

It’s nice to have a hobby that can be so spectacularly cheap.

No comments: