Thursday, August 04, 2022

Echoing in the Rain

 


One evening in my childhood, it was time to get out of the wading pool and go in. Unexpectedly a summer rain started and since there was no lightning Dad said we could stay out until the rain stopped. The rain went on and on forever and we made up all kinds of new games you could only play in the rain. It is still one of the top twenty experiences of my life. I was so happy to be wet.

Of course the next rainstorm there was lightning (I did remind them that per Maryland code our house had a lightning rod and that we were much shorter than the house so we would be safe) Dad was taking no chances. The next time it was too cold, and the time after that I was too old, so they said. I determined that when it was raining in the summer when I was an adult I would be out in it, and then I grew up and got busy.

This summer I was ready for a determined effort. My first chance I underestimated how hard it is to walk in the rain with all that water in your eyes, so I gave up. This time I was ready. I had my umbrella in my fitness bag (yes, I have a bag for everything) and I’d checked the forecast. Exercise clothes replaced my suit. I went out and it was glorious, short, but glorious.

As I stepped out I made contact with that little girl, and I’m determined to do so more often. A lot of stupid stuff has kept me in the house, when I’d rather be out in the rain. It’s weird, but so am I.

No comments: