Monday, May 27, 2013

Proverbs 3:3


This is my favorite necklace.  I wear it almost every day. The front is decorated with Connemara Marble, the official marble of Ireland.  The back is decorated with a portrait of Mary.  I bought it from QVC on St. Patrick's Day a few years back.  From the first time I put it on I knew I was going to wear it out.  The combination of smooth marble and raised portrait make it the perfect thing to finger when I'm nervous or trying to concentrate.   The shield shape reminds me of my grandmother's dining chairs.  She used to lie on the floor under the table waiting for her heart to get back in the right rhythm.  She'd tell me stories to keep me still.  I don't favor my Irish grandfather.  I look like everyone else.  I felt left out of being Irish until my grandfather gave me an Irish teddybear, and declared me Irish.The green is almost the same as my husband's beautiful eyes.  At night when I take it off the clasp has almost always shifted to the front, and I pray for a long and happy marriage as I shift it back.  The portrait of Mary looks like it was originally scratched into the metal.  It has a humble simplicity that is so perfect for her.  It reminds that I am a Catholic, that I hold the Communion of Saints dear, and that it was at St. Mary's Church in Spring Lake where I first understood the Eucharist.

No comments: