Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Boomerang-Toomerang-Zoomerang!

I called my nook, X the Owl, and my iPad, Henrietta Pussycat because of their functions and their sharing of purse space.  Sharing Henrietta Pussycat with my children didn't work out, so when it was time to name another iPad, it had to be Lady Elaine Fairchilde.  She has always been my favorite character on the show, and iPad's are as magical as her boomerang and as crammed with treasure as the Museum-Go-Round.
Fred Rogers was one the most powerful forces in my childhood.  He gave me another measure for love that I wasn't getting anywhere else.  It wasn't that the other measures were false, but that the more ways you have to think about something as important as love, the more likely you are to truly understand it.  In the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, there wasn't one kind of love for the those who were behaving well and another kind for those who were behaving badly.  Good was still good and bad was still bad, but love is still love after all.  Disapproval was never allowed to suborn disrespect.  There was also a healthy understanding that dissent didn't mean disloyalty.  Sometimes things need to be shaken up.

1 comment:

James M. Tate said...

great pic of lady elaine. she is frightening and wonderful at the same time.