Thursday, August 06, 2009

The House

PBS can be an overload of good information sometimes. I've become a serious fan, scanning the tv guide for good stuff to DVR. I think one of my favorite finds was a documentary about Sam Maloof. Kurt and I got comfortable on the couch to watch not just a biography, but the artisan and his assistants at work. The home he made with his wife is spectacular, like all his work it is a true one of a kind. He liked to share his success with others. Sam and Alfreda's Foundation works to encourage and support other artists as they find their way to success.
I always scan the magazine racks at Sam's Club. You never know what you'll find. Today on the cover of a woodworking magazine I discovered that Sam has died at the age of 93. I guess I can cross him off the list of people I'd like to meet and move him to the list of people I wish I'd met. He really knew how to live his life now.

No comments: