Thursday, April 16, 2009

Something

It's amazing how many brain cells my Medieval Women class takes up. All that left over energy that shapes itself into short little informative, humorous, or spiritual bits is no longer left over. I need every resource. I think it would be easier if I didn't find the subject so interesting myself. We started with the Empress Theodora moved on to Hildegaard of Bingen and I'm preparing a lecture of Eleanor of Aquitane.
Theodora provided us with a nice look at the transition from the ancient world to the medieval. Hildegaard is still blowing my mind. Her life is full of such energy, yet she didn't come into her own until around 40--an old lady in medieval times. Studying the abbess made me confront just how different medieval religion is from modern, though some of the theology--particularly as it relates to the end of the world--was very familiar. I could not, under any circumstances have tithed a child to the church at the age of 8, especially to the living death of an anchorite. Eleanor's life, as the wife of two rival kings, both of whom she was too closely related to for a proper marriage. Her involvement in all that went on and the lengths that were gone to to keep her out of the loop are all fascinating--though the general debauchery mixed with extreme religious practices is disconcerting.
I have three more ladies to study--Joan of Arc, Theresa of Avila, and Christine de Pizan. I am hoping the Joan will help us understand the life of a peasant. Theresa will teach us how even in the darkest time a woman's wisdom can shine through. Christine as the first professional female writer will hopefully illumine the challenges women faced when trying to support themselves. Each step along the road has taught me much more than I expected it to. I hope my students feel the same way at the end of the road.

No comments: