Sunday, April 05, 2009

Back to School

We've decided to send at least one of our children back to school. We think she needs to get settled into the routines and systems of education before she goes off to college. I've also developed doubts about my ability to help her with her science requirements. Science is too much fun not to get the whole experience. The other side of the coin is that I've accomplished most everything I hoped to already. She's read Canterbury Tales, The Song of Roland, Augustine, Acquinas, Herodutus, etc. She's begun to understand a good bit of what she reads and she's doing voluntary research on Welsh mythology. She's working on two different novels and she writes a good essay. She knows how to educate herself and that's the main thing.
Next year my burden will be a bit lighter, and I'm looking forward to improving my own education. Teaching Medieval Women at Co-op has also reminded me of how accessible education is these days. I laid out a course and put an order in to Amazon and voila I'm in business. When my burden is light enough that I can put significant work in on my own education I think I will work on Rene Girard. Some of his hypothesis seem scientifically testable, I'm wondering if I could manage to do something like that. In any case the other literary theories become relevant and interesting as they relate to Girard. It isn't a bad way to master the subject.

No comments: