Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thinking about tomorrow

As we sat enjoying a very nice meal it occurred to me that it is half past October and I have only the sketchiest of plans for Christmas. This is not good. Christmas is not the kind of occasion I can throw together at the last minute. Kurt was equally alarmed so we did some planning at the table, but there is only so much we can do without access to cookbooks and toy stores/websites and records of our family traditions. We hoped to get to Hallmark to get the children's ornaments for this year, but City of Ember was calling. (City of Ember is a fun, but unremarkable film.)
Once I sit down with some paper I should find it fairly simple to fill in the framework of tradition with some kind of theme--last year's was Noah's Ark. What I'd really like was a celebration that was firmly based in church and pulled from the broader tradition, but we are currently attending two churches. We've got twice the options and twice the force pulling us in different directions. I'm going to start a new series called "Living the Schism" about the challenges (and blessings) of celebrating both Catholic and Protestant varieties of the Christian faith. Christmas may be a good place to start, but right now I've got to figure out what's on the menu.

No comments: