Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Playing Hide and Seek with the Saints

This fall I'm surrounded by saints. Since we are studying the medieval period and I wanted to add some uplifting devotional material we're reading the biographies of prominent medieval saints. Some of them were on the menu because if your going to read medieval philosophy you're going to read Augustine and Acquinas. The others I added because I didn't thing you'd have a good grasp of the period without St. Joan of Arc and St Catherine of Sienna. The funny thing with the saints though is the sense that somehow they are with you.
As a former Baptist I wouldn't have expected this to be an important part of my spiritual practice, but it is. It all started with St. Zita who even before there was any serious thoughts about converting adopted me. She is my patron saint and sadly overlooked. I discovered her in a book about find your birthday saint. She's April 27 which you might consider my rebirth in some ways, but it isn't my birthday. I was just drawn to the brief portrait of a household servant whose sanctity was universally acknowledged. She came from being one of the most unimportant people in her household to attain sainthood. When I find myself performing feats of household magic I never thought I'd manage I feel her presence.
The rest of the saints we're learning about help out too. My son is not the best behaved child and whenever he is being a real trial in mass I find myself appealing to St. Monica, Augustine's mother. Whenever I think of St. Francis, I always feel sorry for him. We'll be studying him as well, but the sorrow comes from what must be overuse. Here's my little St. Zita with nothing to do, and poor St. Francis, everyone remembers him. Leave it to me to feel sorry for the saints.
For my own personal reading, I'm learning about Mother Theresa. I'm firmly convinced of her sanctity. Her life inspires and frightens me. She is braver than anyone I know, and always effective when I'm afraid.

No comments: