Monday, February 11, 2008

Step Seven

Anti-Catholic rhetoric was a big part of my theological education. The expressions ranged from personal stories about Catholic mistakes to twice daily lessons for a week on how the Roman Catholic Church will be responsible for Armageddon (including overhead slides with flames and a picture of the pope on a gold throne with demons whispering in his ear.) One of the most shocking charges was that Catholics practiced idolatry--that they worshiped statues, saints, Mary, crackers and alcohol. It was a real head scratcher as to how any Christian church with even a nodding acquaintance with the Bible could miss something so big as one of the ten commandments. I was young, though, and satisfied that the adults wouldn't mislead me on something so outrageous as that.
By the time I was in my adulthood and had begun to have Catholic friends I'd learned to take such things with a grain of salt, but I still felt it necessary to inquire as to how they could feel comfortable praying to saints and such. The answer was simple. They weren't worshiping the saints, they were merely asking them to pray for them, just like I'd ask anyone to pray for me. Catholics don't think of the dead as inaccessible. They think of them as still an active part of the church. This makes tremendous sense to me. I find the idea of the communion of the saints amply expressed in Scripture (for a fuller treatment with copious Scripture references see Catholic and Christian). It also reflects my personal beliefs about heaven. To me heaven is not geography, it is complete union with God--to will as he wills. Now, if I am in heaven and I am going to will as he wills and I am a part of the great cloud of witnesses, then I am going to will that struggling saints still here will be successful as they fight for truth. I can't imagine just sitting by playing my harp while the battle still goes on. If that's heaven then I'm going to be spending my time ear pressed to the door of the throne room trying to look casual as the angels go in and out.
I also like how it respects the idea that God works through human beings. We have work prepared ahead of time by God for us to do. I think that includes the work of praying for each other, and I don't think that stops just because you're dead.
This series starts Here. This series continues Here.

No comments: