Monday, January 21, 2008

Red Waaaaalll!

Some books you give your kids to read because they are good for them. Some books you give them because they are fun. Redwall books are both. We discovered Redwall recently and I must say I wonder how I missed the party all this time. While Redwall books are not serious literature, and they do become formulaic, the world that Brian Jacques has created is so wholesome and inviting that you don't mind. When my daughter is busy absorbing a new one of the many, many books in this series, I know she is also absorbing some of the best human values--generosity, compassion, courage, and most of all love. She is also meeting evil in a reasonable form. Redwall won't give her nightmares, but it will help her to think twice about the people she meets. For children as sheltered as mine, that's a good thing.
The other thing I love about Redwall is the food. Brian Jacques is a man who believes in good "scoff" and he takes the time to describe the many feasts that take place in Redwall Abbey. We found out that they've published a cookbook, and we are drooling over the recipes. Since almost all Redwallers are vegetarians, the bonus is that the recipes are very healthy for the most part. For example my kids can't wait to sample "Deeper than Ever Tater and Beetroot Pie." How often do you think that happens?
I highly recommend Redwall, not because it is great literature--it isn't. I recommend it because it is rich in love both between the characters and the author and his audience.

No comments: