Thursday, January 10, 2008

I've always wanted to know how to knit. My granny, who was good at that kind of thing preferred crochet. Why it always had to knitting and crochet wouldn't do, I don't know, but the end of it is that Granny never taught me how to knit. She taught me how to sew, how to quilt, embroidery, cross-stitch and crochet, but knitting has always been a mystery.
Secretly, I was always hoping to make friends with a knitter who would initiate me. This was foolish on many levels. A. I'm very hard to teach anything to, being rather pig-headed. B. I have limited time for developing new friendships and my current inventory of friends lacks a knitter. C. Waiting for romantic notions of that kind to be fulfilled is very often a good way never to learn how to knit.
So.... I took matters into my own hands and bought a book. This is my usual method for making up for a shortfall in personal relationships. My library is much larger than my circle of friends for many reasons, but it nevertheless is a source of quiet melancholy that I tend to learn things from books more than people. The book is quite helpful. It took several tries, but I can now cast on and do a basic stretch of knitting. I'm finding it as interesting and soothing as I thought I would. Maybe after I get good at it, I'll be able to give someone else the gift I always wanted.

No comments: