Saturday, October 06, 2007

Knitting

I went out and thoroughly enjoyed The Jane Austen Book Club last night, and it reawakened a conviction I'd come to earlier that I need to learn how to knit. It's more of a spiritual metaphor really. I'm by nature an unraveller. I could spend hours, days, weeks, years, working on difficult knots both physical and metaphorical, but what do you do with all that material when you come to the end of teasing it out? I'm thinking you knit, but I don't know how.
I dropped into Meijer last night to pick up a few things after the movie. The handy craft section is nicely stocked and they had several different resources to help me learn the basics, but isn't knitting something you need to learn from another human being? Do it yourself knitting teaching just doesn't have the appeal of live instruction from a friend or mentor. Unfortunately, I know more knotty people than I know knitters. I guess that's part of the drill when you are an unraveller, but the material is piling up and I'd like to live more intimately with the metaphor. Maybe I'll sign up for classes.

No comments: