Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Christine Ansorge is a Catholic.

Saturday, I was confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church. The experience was one of the most beautiful and powerful experiences of my life. The only thing I might compare it to would be my wedding, which makes sense as they are both sacraments.
I don't feel up to discussing the confirmation and my first Eucharist. Some things must be treasured in one's heart.
What I do need to discuss is the daunting task of living out my new life. Once again a parallel to my wedding, you wake up the next day and all the weight of living out this commitment makes the struggle of committing seem inconsequential.
There are lots of ways for something to be daunting. You can be denied necessary resources to complete a task, such as the struggle the Israelites faced when they were told to make bricks without straw. You can be uncertain of your ability to complete the particular task you have been assigned, such as a physicist asked to perform in a drama.
I don't feel either kind of daunted. I feel like a child with musical ability who has been given a serious instrument. On the one hand, I am delighted--at last a real instrument that will produce real music. On the other hand, I am daunted--my abilities are not this developed. But the balance of the feeling is delight. I have years to practice and the practice is delight.
Thank you, Mother Church for accepting me.

No comments: