Sunday, July 29, 2007

Chocolate to the Rescue

Lately I've been having deadlines to meet. This is not my favorite way to work as a writer. I like to have all the time in the world to get something right, however, deadlines to force me to focus on tasks I don't enjoy.
My most recent deadline is self-imposed. As part of my volunteer efforts for Heifer Happening Grand Rapids, I set myself the task of creating their first ever press kit. I wanted to get it out to the area's magazines by the end of July so that I have a prayer of getting into the October issue when our event will be taking place. To that end I've been gathering information and materials and writing, writing, writing.
The last piece of the puzzle was a ready-to-print article to include in the kit, so that editors can just slap my article in their publication and be done with it. I was having a horrible time moving from informational writing to journalistic writing. My hooks were awful, and I couldn't seem to wade through all the mountain of material I'd amassed and get to the heart of it. Finally, I packed up my computer and headed out to the local bookstore where I do my fiction writing. Settling in with hot tea, I wasted several sheets of paper getting nowhere. I had to do something, so I bought a chocolate cupcake. "Aaaah!" The light shown from heaven and suddenly it was all so easy. I have noticed this side-effect of chocolate in the past, but it really is amazing how reliable that particular addiction is. Thank God for chocolate, the deadline's worst nightmare.

No comments: