Monday, January 15, 2007

Book Backlog

I've suddenly had a spurt of interest in reading again. Generally speaking, reading is an addiction that needs no prompting, but life has become more interesting than generally understood throughout my lifetime. I have found myself living more than reading, and I think that's a good thing. Books are a good thing too, and I'm back at it, albeit less than before.
So, what am I reading?
The Catholic Catechism--I hadn't expected this to be a dull read, but there it is. I keep finding myself assenting without the least trouble. I'm sure that I'll bump into trouble soon enough, but so far, smooth sailing.
War and Peace--You have to read it sometime, and I'm still all goose-bumpy from finishing Anna Karenina. I also have a young heroine that I'm going to put through it, so I need to know what she's getting into.
The Fathers of the Church--I got curious about the centuries of Christianity that were left out of my education. This book is basic, but interesting.
Ida B.--I bought it for my daughter, honest.
Letters to Malcolm--I've read it before, but it's so homey. I highly recommend it. Thanks, Steve for the loan.
On a Wing and a Prayer--I blew through this one in a few hours. It's very sweet. Thanks for the recommendation, Mom Vi.
The Book of God--I've been eager to read this since Walter Wangerin spoke at the Festival of Faith and Writing.
That's what's on my nightstand.

1 comment:

Steve Poling said...

You just finished Anna Karenina? So cool. Jane was reading it over Christmas break. I love the opening sentence. But that's all I've read.