Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sears Shopper

We spent a good chunk of yesterday shopping for clothes. The girls needed some dresses for church and some casual clothes to wear after school is done for the day. Kurt needed some work pants and some exercise gear. I was hoping to find some casual dresses and skirts for teaching. I was out of luck at most of the major retailers. Clothes at this moment are all flounced and shirred and fashion forward. I blame the television shows where "experts" berate ordinary citizens for their lack luster wardrobes. Everyone wants to make sure they are wearing the impractical "after" look instead of the generally sensible if not inspired "before."
While I adore fashion, am a devotee of Project Runway, and have taken a class in pattern drafting because I so enjoy clothes, I must insist on practicality. I can't be bothered with bias cut crepe de chine that I'll need to throw away the first time my son uses the hem for a Kleenex. Pattern and color may be fashion forward, but they are also time consuming. When I get up I have five children to get motivated to do chores and do school. That doesn't leave a lot of time for coordinating accessories and shoes. This is not to condemn all fashion houses. If we were rich and everyone in the world was getting three squares a day, I'd live in Ralph Lauren. He makes beautiful stuff, and generally practical and long wearing. In reality, I'm limited by a budget, and the retailers within that budget are selling me outfits for the finale of "How Do I Look?". I can't afford to waste my money on those either.
So, where do I end up these days? Surprisingly, Sears is becoming my goto store. Their kid department isn't that great (I did find some lovely clothes at Burlington Coat Factory), but the adult section is filled with simple, practical clothing that can handle my heavy on the unpleasant excretions life. They carry Lands End products and generally nearby they have an in-store line of similar clothing. I put together a great teaching wardrobe for this year and I paid 20 dollars or less for each item. Colors coordinate, so you can mix and match the pieces. If you are in need of practical, washable, quick to co-ordinate clothes, I recommend Sears. They've earned my respect by bucking the trend.

No comments: