Friday, January 13, 2006

taking a spin through my life

CD's are telling. What you listen to says a lot about who you are. So, what's playing? It depends on where you are in the house. Here in my office I'm listening to Songs from the Neighborhood. I've always felt Mr. Roger's songs were special, but the new settings done by current artists proves me right. The treadmill is in here too, and I need the reminder that it's me he likes, not the clothes I wear. In the classroom, we are alternating between Leonard Bernstein's version of Peter and the Wolf and a dreadful ditty that promises to help us all memorize a timeline of American History. Upstairs on the family CD changer we have the variety pack. First, there is a Dean Martin's greatest hits I bought to celebrate the anniversary of our engagement. I only wanted Volare because it was playing when my husband took a knee, but I've grown attached to it's breezy love songs. Next up is a James Galway CD featuring Pachbel's Canon. Something about this disk is very helpful to my cognitive process, as his fingers flitter through the music my minds flitters through the day and puts everything back in order. Jarring my consciousness with a strong reminder that there are five little people whose whereabouts need to be a little higher priority is Elmopalooza. The kids and I hold mini dance-a-thons in the living room to that one. The soundtrack for Sister Act 2 made the cut when I realized I was watching the movie over and over just for the choir. The CD saves me from having to watch it anymore. I have been delivered! Halleujah! Finally, a collection of Bach's greatest hits provides background music when I just don't feel like thinking about anything. Travel with me out to the van and I've got the sound track to The Fellowship of the Ring. I like to think that it gives my journey to the market an epic quality. That's my spin, what's playing at your house?

No comments: