Sunday, July 24, 2022

Affirmation

 

The liturgy of last Sunday’s Mass called for the reading of the story of Martha and Mary. I settled in for a homily about different kinds of service when the Spirit made another truth apparent. I don’t know why I never noticed the affirmation of women as students, as working minds, before. Maybe it’s because my womanhood has leaned heavily toward Martha work and all the Mary work had to be fought for. I’ve felt guilty leaving those dishes in the sink so that there would be time to study. My spiritual community held very traditional ideas about men’s work and women’s work, so I have felt like a trespasser.

But there he is, my Jesus, affirming me in my work. Jesus knew the dishes would still be there in the morning, but his time was growing short. At fifty-one my time is growing short, and I find myself hungry at his feet. Women are called to be students as well. We are not only called to the kitchen. The right to grow and think for ourselves is the better part and it cannot be taken away from us.

1 comment:

Clarity Cleaning Services said...

Cleaning Services Edwardsville IL
https://www.claritycleaningsvcs.com/