Saturday, February 16, 2013

Failures

I tend to write about things I find that I'm pleased with.  The disappointments merely collect in the lower cupboard waiting for me to decide when to completely give up.  Unfortunately Spelling Power had me fooled for three years.  All the research seemed to be in place, but no matter how long I followed the system, Rosie still can't spell.  It's the first thing that made me question the value of homeschooling curriculum
Veritas Press is great in that it values traditional literature.  It's horrible in that it values traditional perspectives.  I liked this because it had real chops, but then when I read through parts I found myself profoundly uncomfortable with the perspective on women.  There were other things too that set my teeth ajar.   It's a beautiful book.  It commends excellent literature.  It would fit right in back a century or two.

I like to teach the kids all together when I can.  It's an ideal that a number of curriculum strive for,but nothing got me quite as excited as The Weaver curriculum.  Based on a chronological tour of the Bible, all the subjects other than math were taught with all the kids in one class.  This was so exciting.  I just pulled out pages and we were all ready to go for the day.  The trick was, the only thing that was taught well was the Bible.  Everything else was sub par.  It took me two weeks to realize I'd wasted a lot of time and money.  We dug out old stuff from previous years and searched up inexpensive things to get us through.  Don't waste your money on this.  It's a good idea, but badly done.

No comments: