Friday, July 06, 2012

grown up honeymoon

A few weeks before my marriage my father asked me how I felt about it, and I said, "ask me again in three years."  It wasn't because I wasn't in love, new is simply not my favorite feature for anything, much less for something as critical as marriage.  So in spite of five and a half years of on again, off again dating and seven and a half years of generally being on my radar, I still needed time to feel comfortable qualifying my marriage.  It's been eighteen years, and I can give it an unqualified excellent.  Like everybody we've had challenges both those that we signed up for and those that we didn't.  We aren't perfect, but we don't ever give up.  Our strength comes from being able to take turns carrying the burdens and maximizing each others gifts and character.
I guess it is a measure of our closeness that I started out writing a puff piece about a recent honeymoon trip, but I can't stay away from talking about my joy in the marriage, forget the hotels and meals and sightseeing.  Atlanta is awesome, but the falling in love I did there, I did with Kurt.

No comments: