Thursday, January 05, 2012

Knitting Take 2

A few years ago, I bought a knitting booklet and was all excited about teaching myself to knit. I did fine on my own until I came to the purl stitch. It seemed impossible to do without three hands. If you can't purl your knitting options are limited, so I put it aside and the predictable thing happened--the kids tore it all apart and lost the stuff. The needles made excellent fairy swords, but they were bent and unusable after a particularly challenging duel with Captain Hook. (He must prefer crochet.) It was all alright. I wasn't ready yet.
This Christmas one of our daughters was given a sewing machine with all the attendant notions and we signed her up for a class at our local JoAnn's, which also offered knitting classes. Two for the price of one sweetened the deal. I found myself in the very capable hands of Jo, who can not only purl, she has made her own clothes, not just sweaters, but skirts and dresses. With her help I managed the trifecta of casting on, knit stitch and purl stitch. I forgot them all later that day, but the Internet seems to be swimming in very useful knitting videos.
Stitch by stitch it is coming along. I'll enjoy take two, they're small.

No comments: