Wednesday, March 02, 2011

It's the little things

I always wanted an electric toothbrush. To my eyes it was the height of luxury to have the toothbrush brush your teeth for you. Most Christmases I buy the kids one of those cute cartoon character versions, but I never bought one for me, until a month ago, when Kurt went with me to Sam's. A joint trip allows me to run ideas and non-budgeted purchases by him. I jokingly pointed out the adult motorized toothbrushes and he put it in the cart. Sometimes these things are better in one's imagination than they are in reality--not so the toothbrush. I love the luxury taking my time to allow each tooth their spin. What other stuff did I want as a kid?
My mother called wanting to know what I wanted for Christmas. I knew exactly what I wanted, right down to the personalization. There are certain splurges I struggle to fit into the budget and a fancy pen is one of them. A Christmas or two ago Mom and Dad bought me an ivory Levenger Truewriter. I asked that it be inscribed, Truth Alone, because I intended to (and still do) use it to do my creative writing. It's a great reminder to stick with what I know and what I know is true. I wanted another pen to use for my reading. I'm filling a commonplace book with all the great stuff I'm pulling out of the Great Books. That's a lot of writing and while I do my best to write "Truth Alone," I know that most of the time it's just my best guess. I think it's fair to assume that that was truth for these others who pushed us forward one idea at a time, so I asked for an obsidian, true wrtier engraved "Best Guess."
I'm not a big music person. I enjoy it, but I don't spend money on it--etc, so when Kurt passed down his ipod I couldn't find a purpose for it. I put some German tapes on it for the trip to Munich, but mostly it laid around looking for a reason to exist. Now, I've found it. Dance music is one of my loves, so I've put all my favorite songs that cause spontaneous dancing on that little white stick. It should be great for my workouts at the Aquatic Center, but it doesn't matter it lifts my mood and makes chores into workouts.

1 comment:

Joss said...

awwww I like you always wanted an electric tooth brush, I had one for a while but when it died I didnt replace it, the really nice pen is something I have also always wanted but yet to happen, I had only ever thought about having my name on a pen, never something like you had on yours but I think that is a brilliant idea and def something to think about when i get to that point thanks for sharing love and hugs joss.