Friday, January 07, 2011

C'est tres European, sort of.


Helping my kids succeed at their chores means making those chores as simple as possible. The more jobs that are no-brainers, the more we all live happily ever after. Making a twin bed can be a job for little bodies with short arms. Until now I've accepted any haphazard attempt at straightening, but I wished that the first chore on the list could be an easy winner. During our visit to Munich we stayed in a wonderful hotel and their bedding arrangements were so simple. You get pillows and each person has their own heavy duvet to arrange as they like. Making the bed was a simple matter of pulling the duvet's straight and fluffing the pillows. It was wonderful for sleeping and I imagine wonderful for the hotel staff.
I wanted to bring it home, but I got hung up on the duvet. The buttoned on cover would be terrific for tent building and other activities not related to sleep or good order. Never give children a giant bag that is, as far as they are concerned, a great place to stuff things. It wasn't until this Christmas that I finally figured out how to make it work for us--sleeping bags. Every kid has a fitted sheet, a pillow, and a sleeping bag. In the morning it's a simple matter of putting the pillow at the top and spreading out the sleeping bag. Everyone can do that and the bonus is that the sleeping bags are better suited to insulate the kids on cold Michigan nights.
We found the bags at Amazon for 25 dollars. The pillows were on special at Sam's and they worked out to 3 dollars a pillow and then I found a sheet set at Target for 12. That's 40 dollars a bed and well worth it.

2 comments:

Nessa Locke said...

It kind of irritates me when the boys use sleeping bags on their beds. I guess I should look at it again, from a different point of view!

Christine Ansorge said...

The kids really like how easy it is. I love the fact that they can have their bed made in less time than it takes for me to climb to the second floor. For us, it's a win win.