Sunday, January 24, 2010

Book Reports

After 7 months of dragging the poor thing everywhere and filling it with rather hideous lime green drylighter notations, I can cross The Philosophy of History off my list. I will probably reread the introduction, but I have read the whole thing with much pleasure. I was swept away with the Grand Idea trying to manifest throughout history. I still like the general idea, but as I read through the specifics I quite disagreed and the case Hegel was making rapidly lost credence. He was too eager to back up his own pet definitions and causes. I may read The Phenomenology of the Spirit in order to consider if a more objective pair of eyes were to examine the evidence if better evidence might not be found. There is also the question of whether or not the Grand Idea is a good one. I'd like to think some more on that too. All and all I recommend it.




As if to reassure myself that I can read a book in less than 7 months I blasted through Tunnels in three days. Tunnels drags the reader into a completely unique sub-world with vivid characters and settings. The delicious grittiness is occasionally broken by flowery, floating language, and there are moments when everything feels like a non-sequitur. There is no real story arc or resolution unless you narrow your focus to Will and Chester. Will's commitment to rescue Chester is the only thing that gives the story continence. Not that it needs it. I really didn't care about flaws as I explored such a thrilling world. It was a great return to casual fiction.



Coming Attractions

The day I converted Jane, my sponsor, gave me this book as a gift. I love it too much to read it. I start it over and over, always quitting because it is too delicious. It's time to give in and read it. Hopefully it won't take 7 months.

No comments: