Thursday, November 19, 2009

Highlights

Pardon the neck bends. I thought I'd fixed them all last night. Facebook won't let me post anymore, so here is a digest version of the last two days.
Christmas is here and the windows are amazing!
This clocktower is sort of a giant cuckoo clock reenacting scenes from Munich's history
The is the Theatenkirche. I didn't get to see inside, but the outside is lovely.
This pillar was raised to praise God for delivering the city from invaders and the plague.
Here's where I ate my lunch.
Giant scuplture supporting authority and right doing and all that jazz. It sits just outside a tunnel entrance into the Residenz, the home of the Bavarian royalty.
At the other end of the tunnel sit two fawns, human scale and ready to play.
This is the Antiquarium. Sculpture from the Greek and Roman period as well as pieces inspired by that time are amassed in an overwhelming display of the right to rule. Each niche represents the territory loyal to the Bavarian crown and the effect can be a tad overwhelming.
At this point I'd been through a good chunk of the house and I realized that very costly decorations were everywhere. This is ornamentation on a scale I can't quite process.
This is the Frauenkirche. It is the seat of the Archbishop. I dropped in for Mass, which was an amazing multicultural experience. Some kneeled, some bowed, some curtseyed, some genuflected, and it was all good.
The devil's footprint. He was angry because the architect had built a church without windows. It's an illusion most clearly visible at this point.
Yesterday I devoted to the Neue Pinakothek. I skipped most the art that dated from the same period as the Resdenz as I was still a bit overwhelmed.
This was painting of Christ that has me intrigued. I may have found a new painter I'd like to study. My notes are buried in my bag, or I'd add the details.

No comments: