Monday, July 27, 2009

I'll do the credits.

Writer's make great parents. OK, there's probably a few examples here and there of writer's being really crappy parents, but I was thinking about bed time stories. My kids are spoiled. Everyone has their own story line and they all gather together to hear what will happen next to everyone's alter egos. Last night a 'smore covered sea turtle saved a family reunion gathering by convincing a space dragon that he wanted to try calamari. Jove, Job and Joe all attended a star gazing party that was much enhanced by the giant and his telescope. The architect fairies got drafted to help the bad behavior fairy cure a naughty family of abusing their home. Last but not least an ice princess came and froze some flower fairies' garden out of sheer boredom. They convinced her to try the South Pole since the North Pole wasn't working for her. We'll see how it goes.
Last night was also the first time that I had a Greek chorus chipping in their own two cents about how the stories should go. Exasperated I asked the worst offender if he'd like to tell the story for me. "I'll do the credits," he says. This tickled my funny bone, so I duly finished the story and he did the credits. At the end of early Pixar movies they would create bloopers. This is my kids favorite part of the movie. Suddenly the space dragon was blowing his lines until I made that little chirpy noise. Next someone had eaten all the marshmallows. It was so funny.
Sometimes the credits eclipse the film.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

You sound like you're a fabulous story teller. My brother is like that - our nieces and nephews love to hear his stories! An uncle on my dad's side of the family also was a wonderful story teller. It's a great talent to have as a parent!