Monday, June 29, 2009

Gold

There is something about an old friend that can't ever be replaced. I went home two kids ago for a school reunion and found that I felt more connected with people who'd been rivals than I did to those who'd been my friends--depending on the length of time I'd known them. Evidently I'm the kind who prefers old enemies to new friends. This makes all the moving around I've done lonely.
The big thrill though, is seeing old friends in a new context. Recently God blessed me with two separate visits from friends Kurt and I used to double date with. Heather Rager Bowman was the valedictorian and I was the salutatorian of our class in highschool. She married a technical guy and they have six kids too. It was such fun to fill the house with our offspring, and to catch up on life. I was hoping she'd be moving here, but the Lord has other plans.
Scott Bashoor and his bride Heidi were here just last Friday. We hadn't been able to attend the California wedding, so it was my first chance to meet Heidi. She was worth the wait. I haven't had that much fun in a while. They are expecting their first baby six months from now. Scott was one of our groomsmen, so it was fun to pull out our newly acquired wedding photos for Heidi. Scott hasn't changed a bit--except for the mustache. :)

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I recently reconnected with Scott on Facebook. That's great that you got to see him in person and meet his wife. I haven't reconnected with Heather since HS. I remember playing the flute with her in the band. That's neat you two have so much in common and have gotten to spend time together lately. :-)