Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ambition Sweet Ambition

When my daughters talk about their futures, motherhood is the main attraction. I'm proud of that, but at the same time I wonder if I should be.Having such a large family provides me with all the excuse necessary to be completely absorbed by family life. Homeschooling makes it even more understandable. I lead a very full and rewarding life, but is it a good star to guide my daughters by?
If one of them would come out with an obsession with art or science or something, I'd relax a little. Those other messages in their DNA are going to find full expression too. Then again, motherhood turned out to be my grand passion, the one thing I'd give everything else up for, why shouldn't it be theirs? It was in my DNA. Is it really that hard to believe I passed it along? But to all four of them? Somebody has to find something more inspiring than child-bearing, don't they?
I cultivate my other gifts and interests for many reasons, but recently the need to inspire my children to value all that life has to offer has become a big one. Just like they didn't all get my chin--thank God--it's unlikely that they all got my desire to procreate on a large scale. I need to make sure that my life offers them more than one future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a question,what is your favorite resteraunt? I was told about this blog by my friend.

Christine Ansorge said...

What an interesting comment. :)
Anywhere I don't have to cook. :)

Mea Ansorge said...

Mothers day trick!i wanted to find out your favorite so we could take you there!