Monday, November 26, 2007

New-fangled Old-fashioned


When I sit down to write, I'm afraid I must write long-hand. There is something about the words scrawling over the paper that is much easier for me to connect to than typing on a keyboard. I go back and scribble over stuff, with the assurance that whatever got canned is still available under the new words. I tend to go through several colors of ink as I revise material, though my writer's group requirement that the pages I present be typed double-spaced have given me the luxury of a fresh page to scribble over as I work in the revisions and ideas my friends have suggested or inspired.
I used to work in pencil until I realized that working on a project as time consuming as a novel meant that my work was often smeary and hardly usable when I was ready to go on to the next draft. Pen has been a good move, and the regular typing up of chunks as I go has also been good, but I hate the typing up. I am not a good typist and I find all sorts of mistakes get folded into my manuscript simply because ten fingers is a lousy way for me to record bursts of creativity. I have long wished for some system that would transcribe my handwritten pages into a typewritten manuscript without my having to sit there tapping away. I may have found it.
There's this new gizmo for kids--the Fly Pen Top Computer--that promises to take my handwritten notes and automatically transcribe them. I have no idea whether or not it could make out my rather gruesome handwriting. (I have lovely penmanship when I have time, but when the muse is speaking I rush.) However, I cannot help but be drawn to the hope that it could. I shall have to do some research on such matters as durability, battery life, etc. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Mea Ansorge said...

In writing we are direct opposites.I wish i could carry a computer around whenever (if ever) i decide to write a gigantic novel.( and if i ever do i hope i don't go crazy)!