Thursday, November 16, 2006

Nearly Perfect Day

Today has been a picture postcard of family life. I woke up late after stealing a few more moments to savor a dream about camping in one of those old fashioned, aluminum trailers. The kids and I have been talking about personal responsiblity, and the three oldest ones started their quiet school work and had made good progress by the time I made it down to the classroom. I was so impressed. The fourth, who is learning to read this year, suddenly clicked with the idea of sounding out words. She just kept going until her brain popped out of gear. We had a tremendous time with loud school in the afternoon, and then everyone pitched in to tidy up the house and cook a special "breakfast" dinner just as Kurt arrived home. We had waffles, basil and mozzarella eggs, and maple-link sausages, which we ate in the living room while we watched Curious George. Our little spud monster kept asking "Where's George?" until Ted reached Africa and then he just about lost it when George came on screen. It has been one of the happiest and coziest days ever.

Here's hoping your day was even better.

1 comment:

Steve Poling said...

when you say an "old fashioned aluminum trailer" what do you have in mind? An Airstream once figured in my 3rd novel, and I visited the Airstream factory in Ohio (en route to Cedarville) to gather details of construction. If I had a few extra sheckles, I'd get an Airstream Bambi.

High Command has expressed interest in a Shasta that's small and cute and ancient that's parked near Riverside park. It's nice, but it wasn't for sale.

Then there are those cool teardrop shaped jobbies that are just awesome. Very tempting. However, the trailer I actually bought last month is one of these